Sunday, April 7, 2019

Backlighting

______________________________________


Back lighting vs top lighting


I did a test shoot to see how to get the appropriate lighting for a dark subject matter on a dark background. In the first test I shot the subject matter (blueberries in a black bowl with a single softbox set up behind and above the subject matter, bouncing a little light back into the foreground with a what card.


In second second test, I placed the softbox directly over the subject matter and flagged the background with a black card. Both shots were made with a Nikkor 55mm micro, f11, 1/160, ISO 200.


I think the back lit version is more subtle and appealing, next time I'd try to get a little more light on the surface of the bowl and blueberries in the foreground.

_____________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment